Defining what exactly constitutes a hacker movie was the first step. To do this a large number of potential candidates movies were reviewed to determine whether or not they were truly hacker movies, and using Grounded Theory a series of guidelines were developed to explain why some movies were added and others rejected.
- GUIDELINE 1: A hacker movie must feature a hacker in it, it is insufficient to have an act of hacking in the movie, the hacker must appear in the movie as being either the main protagonist or antagonist, or at least be a well-developed character with their hacking being integral to the plot.
- GUIDELINE 2: Not all cyberpunk movies can automatically be considered as hacker movies.
- GUIDELINE 3: Only Science Fiction movies that feature recognisable hacker scenarios should be included.
- GUIDELINE 4: No animated movies will be considered.
- GUIDELINE 5: No movies will be considered whose sole focus is cryptography.
- GUIDELINE 6: No hacker documentaries will be considered, only movies.
More detail here;